Friday, October 20, 2017

Day 185--Planting and Ice Skating

Sam likes to draw while he's supposed to be doing math, and today I watched him doing it and the expression on his face matched the face he was drawing! I told him that and he said it helps him get it right. So Sarah tried it. She's got furrowed eyebrows in this picture in case you can't tell, and here's what she was drawing. Sam did enhance it a little afterward though. I don't see a way to rotate the picture so it's sideways!



Sam worked on coming up with a character for his comic strip class today. He tried several different kinds. He's SO good at drawing! I guess it might be in his genes a little. My dad can draw and my brother is actually an artist, so he's just amazing. I can draw a little bit if I have something to look at. I definitely can't draw from my head. My brother can draw anything he's ever seen and it's always perfect. Sam's more like that and working on it all the time.

We signed Sarah up for NaNoWriMo today. She set her word count goal at 10,000. I might do it too, but I can't decide if I should try fiction or just work on one of my many book ideas. Rachel already writes all day long, so I don't think she'll need any extra motivation. I wonder if she'll ever run out of ideas. I guess it doesn't work like that any more for fiction than nonfiction. I'm just amazed at anyone that can come up with stories.

We went over to my parents' house today and helped them plant a few things that will bloom in the spring. We planted this very twiggy little tree, and we were afraid it would get mowed down because it was so hard to see, so Sam hammered a stick in next to it to make it visible. We planted 5 peony bushes and like 50 starts of some kind of ground cover. Dad and my brother had already planted 140 tulip bulbs. They used a drill bit that digs out dirt so you can plant the bulbs fast. I wish we had been there for that. Sounds fun.

Sam and Sarah went to an ice kating birthday party tonight for one of their friends. They haven't done much ice skating, but they did great. Sarah got a lot more comfortable than she had been. Sam was pretty comfortable already. They were so cute. There were about 25 teens there and they all were on about the same level. It was good that nobody was terrific at skating, but they all were pretty good. Maybe we should go more as a family and I would learn to do it a little. Of course Jeff already can. He can do everything!

See you next time!



No comments:

Post a Comment