Monday, November 7, 2016

Day 69--Sam was so surprised!

Sam's surprise party was so fun. He almost fell over from shock. It was pretty funny. I can't believe I didn't get any pictures! We had six boys come over; they spent most of the time running around outside in the dark playing freeze tag. More like freezing tag--it was getting kind of chilly. We had pumpkin pie with fresh whipped cream. Sam ate a ton of it.

This morning, Jeff and the kids worked on memorizing the end of a poem that we started months ago. I can't remember what it's called or who wrote it now. Or any of the words. That's pathetic. I have the hardest time memorizing. Sam was telling me he doesn't feel like he can memorize very much either. That's so hard to believe, because he knows so many things that he's read. You'd think it would be easier. After the memorizing, Jeff took Sam and Sarah on a bike ride. Sarah always comes home out of breath and gasping and shaking. I don't know why she doesn't just take it easy. Sam seems fine. I think her tiny bike is too much work. Tonight we started fixing up that bigger one for her. Hopefully it won't take too long to get it going. Rachel and Jeff went for a walk after the bike ride. She doesn't like to ride too much; she'd rather walk every time. I tell her to use the scooter, but no.

We always all end up working on math at the same time. It's not easy. Or smart. I have got to get that under control. Today it was 3:15, and I knew it would be the last thing anyone was going to do; so it had to be math. Today wasn't as bad as some days though, because no one had any new concepts to learn. Although Sarah had some new kind of word problems. She had to set up algebraic equations for situations like: Two boys got the same amount of money from their dad and one earned more until he had doubled his money. The other one got $15 for his birthday. They ended up with the same amount as each other; how much did they start out with? X+X=X+15. I think it was frustrating for her because she likes to breeze right through, but she had to stop and think. She seemed to like it in the end. It's just not always her favorite thing to take information and have to manipulate it in a different way each time. Algebra's like that. I'm glad she has this year of Pre-Algebra to practice doing that gradually.

I saw a clip for a new Anne of Green Gables movie. I was not impressed. I wouldn't have taken the job if I were an actor. There's just no way to follow the original. I'd probably get mad if I watched it; it's so different. They have Matthew talking so much, and he doesn't seem shy. I wondered if they even read the book. He would never talk that much. It was kind of sad. Makes me want to watch the original again. I'll have to go reserve it at the library.

See you tomorrow!



No comments:

Post a Comment