Friday, November 11, 2016

Day 73--The Moore Formula

Have you read The Successful Homeschool Family Handbook by Raymond and Dorothy Moore? I won't go into the whole thing, but I love the model of "The Moore Formula" that they discuss. Here's their brief synopsis of the it:
"1) Study from a few minutes to several hours a day depending on the child's maturity; 2) manual work, at least as much as study; 3) home and/or community service an hour or so a day. Focus on kid's interests and needs; be an example in consistency, curiosity, and patience."

Don't you love that? We cover number one pretty well. We study from a few minutes to several hours a day, but it doesn't depend on the child's maturity. It depends on the day. That's probably not what they meant, but I can only do what I can do. We definitely do not do as much manual work as study. Unless you count cooking. Ha! (I thought I had heard that the formula included the children working at having a business.) And we've actually had a hard time serving lately because of health stuff.

Today was lovely though. We did manual work that was service. We helped prepare lunch for 35 young adult missionaries for our church this morning. We made tacos--our specialty. We chopped tomatoes and lettuce, fruit for fruit salad too. We made refried beans and guacamole, set up tables, and talked and laughed and had fun. It was so nice. We didn't do any studying though. It can't all happen on the same day right?

I think the Moore Formula would surely produce a well rounded, socially aware, adult with fortitude and a variety of abilities and interests. I guess we've had seasons for different aspects of this formula though. We have times when all we do is serve those around us for hours and hours each week. And then that slows down and we get to spend a lot of time studying. The manual work is always hovering in the background in every season. Like tomorrow, we're going to go to the old house and sand the living room floor in order to refinish it. The realtor says we're going to get another offer on Monday, so we'll see. I don't like to get my hopes up; but they did ask if we were willing to do a couple things, which we are. They're things that need done anyway, so that's ok.

We have always taught the kids to clean the house, even though we don't have regular chores that people are responsible for. We have done chores in several different ways throughout the years. It's probably time to have them more structured again. I'll have to work on that. I love how I can read about different "homeschool methods" and take what sounds good and include it in what we do. I never have followed any method or curriculum strictly. That would kill us, not because we're undisciplined, but because as wonderful as other people's programs are, they just don't know my family. I'm allowed to take any idea and make it right for us. and so are you!

See you next week!



No comments:

Post a Comment