Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Day 79

I am so sick of being on the couch! I can't get over this headache. It's not as bad now, but I'll have to go to sleep again--just like last night. We found a few Studio C sketches on youtube today that we haven't seen. I think that's probably all we'll find though. Sad. We didn't make the pies for tomorrow like we were supposed to. What a tired day, rainy too.

We always have Thanksgiving dinner at my parents' house. My dad has made the meal every year for as long as I can remember. My mom was in charge of pies until a few years ago. Then I started doing them. We're taking two pumpkin and one apple. I love that the kids can totally do pies without me, because I'm making the delicious, soft, warm dinner rolls. They have a stick of butter in them and then you dip them in another stick of melted butter before baking them. Crazy good. We're also taking sweet potatoes--just baked, and sautéed green beans.

Rachel was still working on essays today. Seems like there's an endless supply. She said there are nine of them to do. Well, I'm not sure you'd call them all essays. Technically, I guess only three of them are. But there are nine things to write like noteworthy accomplishments, why she wants to go there, experiences with leadership, skills and talents. It's exhausting. She's closing in though. I just think she'll have to double up on math lessons to finish her credits for the year!

Sarah started reading Whatever Happened to Penny Candy today and Sam is reading Whatever Happened to Justice, that Sarah thought was so boring. He's much more interested in it than she was. Wilson was always more interested in that sort of thing than Rachel too. But nobody around here wants to watch the news. We don't have a TV, so we have to look up any news we watch. I think I need to find some kind of student news though. Maybe that would be more fun for them than regular news.

See you soon!





3 comments:

  1. I'm always surprised by the differences in the university/college application process in the US compared to here. Yours seems very long and involved what with the SATs or other exams before plus all the essays. I suppose kids in school here do have 3 years of exams but my kids haven't done a single one. Their application was a one page form, a short (2page) transcript listing the course they'd done plus extra-curricular stuff and a short (3 paragraph) letter saying why the university should admit them. Mind you they all opted for the same university which is probably the most homeschool friendly. My youngest wants to go elsewhere and I'm still putting my head in the sand about the application process. She's going on a summer school programme there in a couple of months. If she'a still keen I'll start looking into it then. Hopefully all Rachel's hard work will pay off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds so easy there! Our community colleges here are easier also; it's the larger universities that make it complicated. I hope your daughter has a great time at the summer program and finds out if she really wants to go there.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete