Friday, December 9, 2016

Day 88

Today we got to go to my parents' house and help make Christmas cookies. My mom has been making these all my life, and she makes a ton of them. I think the kids made 15 dozen today. They're nut balls, and they are so good. I can't eat them any more because of the sugar, but I thought we'd get the recipe and try to alter them. I can't wait to try it.

We also packed up some of her breakables from the living room, because right after Christmas they're having their living room floor redone. They have carpet and they're getting the hardwood under it refinished. I think they're going to love it. We're going back next week to help them get ready for Christmas Eve. That's the big night for our family. I guess we might pack up some more stuff, since they have to have the living room completely empty by Jan 2. It's a big room with lots of stuff in it.

I also worked on a nightgown for Mom. She had the pattern pieces all cut out and ready, so all I had to do was sew them up. It was fun; I haven't sewn anything in a while, and the girls and I have some projects we need to start. That gave me a little motivation for it, since it came out really well. I decided that cutting the fabric is the hard part. If I could always have all the pieces ready, I could just whip up whatever I'm making. Sarah was impressed that I could even sew. It's kind of sad that I haven't done it for so long that she didn't know I could. I guess we'll take care of that. We're definitely working on our projects after Christmas. We have material for linen skirts and a couple other things.

I typed out Sam's three sentences from the other day and had him go over them looking for mistakes. He did alright, except I felt like a couple of them were more than one sentence. I think he doesn't think of it because when we talk, we just say the next thing. I mean have you ever thought about where one sentence ends and the next begins. I told him to read them aloud and he'd see that he was having run-ons. He sent an email to Lego tonight to ask them something. I asked if he wanted me to look at it before he sent it, but he didn't show me. The last time he sent one, he did a better job with his structure than whatever else he writes. Just proving my contention that writing for a real reason and a real audience motivates us to do our best. I love all the things that take care of themselves when the kids write for real.

See you next week!




No comments:

Post a Comment