Thursday, December 15, 2016

Day 91--Blast from the Past

I didn't want to write about my day because Sam's still pretty sick, and that's not much fun. So I went looking for some old newsletters from a website I had years ago, before blogs. I thought I'd just insert one here. It's probably from about 2008, so pretty old.

Here you go:

"Have you ever gotten to the end of something hard, and been amazed how far you had come?

Today, my husband and I took our kids on a field trip to hunt fossils. We went to a dried up lake bed with a ton of rocks and waterlife fossils. There are four or five kinds commonly found there, and you can take anything home that's smaller than the palm of your hand. It was so much fun for all of us.

After gathering our fill of fossils and hearing "Look Mom!" no less than a million times, we went to the "gorge" side of the dam by the lake. We drove down to the bottom and trudged up to the top on foot. It was very high and steep. Our 6 year old didn't think he could make it, and I didn't think I could either.

We took his hands and his older brother told him not to look up at how far he had to go. If we watched our feet we'd be there before we knew it.

When we finally got there panting, with sore legs and pounding hearts, we turned around to see how far we'd come. It was a gorgeous valley with a gentle stream and trees all over with fall colored leaves.

Our young son realized how happy he was to be at the top and said sighing, "That's the most beautiful sight I've ever seen!"

Having an 11th grader, I'm almost at the top of the home schooling hill for the first time. I've got to say, it's the most beautiful sight I've ever seen! You know what else? It's been worth the sore legs, panting, and pounding heart."

I remember that day. Now I look at that 11th grader with a wife, baby and bachelor's degree and it's even better.

See you tomorrow!





No comments:

Post a Comment