Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Day 163--Books are "Other Teachers"

I was having a nice chat tonight with a lady who was saying that she thinks it's important to have different people teach kids and to have a structured day like you get with an online charter school. She has some family members that have used one in the past but are now going to "do it themselves." She was perfectly lovely, and I just smiled and nodded and said, "Uh-huh." I didn't want to sound like I disagreed, because I don't completely; so I didn't say anything else.

Really all I wanted to say was, "All the books we read are written by someone besides me." Every author of every book is like a teacher for my kids. I think it's great to have an outside source occasionally (like the Brave Writer class I just registered Sam for); but I guess I feel like as long as I can explain what the kids need to learn, why wouldn't I? When there are things I can't help them learn, I can always get someone else to help. But what makes it automatically better to have a variety of teachers? Sometimes it is better, but that's not guaranteed just because they aren't me.

It was a perfectly pleasant conversation. It just got me thinking, and I love the idea that all the experts that have written the books my kids read are their teachers--and mine. I like that better than just my having a "stand-in" to teach math or grammar or whatever, because I truly don't need that most of the time.

Sometimes I do need someone else to be encouraging or to be a cheerleader for my kids. Like when Rachel took a writing class, got a terrific grade and some praise, and gained the confidence to write books. I love that, and it was very valuable. I suspect that will affect her for the rest of her life, since I don't see her slowing down on her writing at all. But I think if they had a constant stream of other teachers in their lives, it would not have the same effect.

See you next time!



No comments:

Post a Comment