Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Day 129--"We learned from Gomer Pyle"

We like silly old TV shows, and Gomer Pyle USMC is one of them. The other day, we watched an episode about Gomer having a craving for Welsh Rarebit. We didn't have any idea what that was so we looked it up. It's basically toast with cheese sauce over it. We've been reading Jane Eyre, and they mentioned it in there. We were so proud that we knew what it was--all because of Gomer Pyle. See, you can learn from anything!

I like the schedules I made for Sam and Sarah. I really shouldn't call them schedules; they're just lists of what to do. They can choose when and in what order they do them. The only thing is that I feel this pressure to have them do everything on the list. Normally, I just tell them what I want them to do as we go along and it's nice and relaxed. But now I feel like I have to make sure they're doing things.

I know it's a good idea to have the lists because of my health stuff, but I don't like the feeling it gives me. I just know I'm going to be disappointed if Sarah's not finished with everything at the end of the week, but I never was before. It's ridiculous. I need to just give it to her and let it go. I wonder if I can do that. This is the reason I never buy other people's lesson plans or any packaged curriculum. The bizarre feeling that I have to do what it says just because it says it.

Sam just about finished his cooking merit badge last night with the other boys at church. I can't believe how much there is to it. There are pages of requirements. That's part of the reason that merit badges have never been that much fun to do. They have to explain all these things about cooking and safety and how to do it. I think they should just have to put there hands on it and show how do it. I guess they have to do that too--at a campout. I know it's scouts; but let's face it, those boys are going to do much more cooking in a kitchen in the future than at a campout. At least anyone in my family is.

I need to get on with writing a book. I have several started and ideas for others, but I think I'll do my book of writing project ideas. I think I can get that one finished most quickly and it goes with MyWritingCheck.com that I have going already. Rachel and I are getting close to being finished editing her book. We had wanted to finish by the first of this month, but migraines took over. I should be good for the next couple weeks. I can't believe my daughter's going to have a book published before I do. I've been wanting to do that for years and years! Guess I'd better catch up!

See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment