Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Day 133--New Drivers in the house!

Rachel got her license! And Sarah got her permit! I didn't let Rachel drive home though, because I had forgotten to tell the car insurance guy and I wanted to be sure we were covered properly. It's all good now. I gave Sarah her first lesson on the way home. We went to a cemetery to get her started, and it was so perfect. There are several roads and stop signs, but not any traffic. When Rachel and Wilson got their permits, Jeff was with them and took them to a parking lot to get them used to controlling the car; so I had no idea what that was like. Oh my! They actually can't steer the car straight at first, can they? It was pretty cute though. She did a great job, but I don't know how anyone takes an extreme beginner onto the road right away. Seems stupid. Maybe people don't do that. I think we'll have at least a few more parking lot/cemetery lessons before that.

While we were at the license bureau, I realized something. You know how the workers always have a reputation for being grumpy? Well, as I sat there watching, I realized that everyone that goes in there has no idea what to do. Then the worker gives instructions about this or that and you have to pay attention and you're probably nervous. At least everyone in the exam station is nervous. So the worker thinks you're stupid. Then the worker gets impatient and treats you that way.

The guy we had sort of mumbled and when Rachel asked him to repeat something he was very slow and way to clear, like she was an idiot. Then Sarah was so nervous, she signed her name wrong which led him to treat her like she was stupid. Ok, so it's probably hard to be patient when everyone you deal with looks like they never use their brains. I started to have sympathy for the workers, but then I decided they could have thought of all that and my sympathy went back to the public. I told the kids that maybe when they all leave home, I'd get a job there just to be nice to people that are nervous or that come in thinking the workers are all grumps. They thought that wouldn't be a very fun job though. Maybe not; I guess I'll stick to writing.

The kids didn't have school today, except for going to the license bureau. That's definitely educational. We went from there to my parents to make and eat dinner and then to the store. We're kind of exhausted. A little My Favorite Martian before bed relaxed us though. Now I don't want to go to sleep. I'd be a great second shift worker.

See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment