Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Day 136--Better off with Siblings

On the radio, we heard that people are less likely to get divorced if they grow up with siblings. They said that by the time you're 11 years old, you're spending 1/3 of your time with your siblings (that is really sad). They said that for each sibling you have, the chances of divorce go down 2%. I thought it would be much higher. So Rachel said that when you get to spend 3/3 of your time with your siblings, it would go up to 6% per sibling. So clever!

Sarah observed that people in families can ruin each other's lives. And I said that may be true, and of course family members have a big effect on each other. But that's just what we do, right. We can have a huge positive impact on each other in a family, though. Feelings can be so contagious, can't they? Whenever someone's grumpy, the rest of us are. I know that happens at your house too. But if somebody's dancing around to bouncy music, the mood in the entire house lightens. Let's be clear; Jeff's the only one that does that in our house. But it makes us all laugh.

We listened to a speech about the power of words by a performance psychologist this morning. I've never heard of a performance psychologist. It was about positive and negative self-talk. We've had a lot of negative talk around here for a while. If we say this or that is terrible, then we get around to telling ourselves bad things about what we do or think or are. The guy talked about training an olympic skier and how she went from a nobody to being in the olympics in seven months by hard work and positive self-talk. It's amazing to think about, and I can see it in my own life. I wish I had known years ago, because I would have tried to change what I've been telling myself for a long time. I guess I better start now.

I couldn't resist this picture. It's from when Wilson and Kamille were here last.

Kamille posted a little video of Eliza taking a few steps on facebook today. She'll be 10 months on Thursday. How can she get cuter every time I see her? I guess that'll go on for years.

See you tomorrow!



No comments:

Post a Comment