Friday, April 28, 2017

Day 143--I'm a Homeschool Supermom!

I'm a homeschool supermom this week. I spent at least 4 hours sitting on the bathroom floor yesterday helping Sam set up a very cool Lego beach scene and take shots for a stop-action video. It's an important one for a contest. He works so hard on these. The first session we had was a couple hours long; and after it was finished, we found that the lighting was too varied. It was making the video flash as it played. He was not happy. So I decided I was going to work on it after bedtime so it would be dark outside and there would only be lamplight. He and I worked another couple hours and went to bed at midnight. But it came out so great! It looked amazing.

Tonight, we're finishing up with the beach. He's doing all the work this time, but I'm still sitting on the floor giving moral support. We made the water out of unflavored gelatin and blue food coloring. It looked so cool. It looked like ocean water in motion.

I say I'm a homeschool supermom, but I haven't figured out a way to help Sam keep from getting upset when things go wrong. He really wants it all to be perfect. Wilson is a perfectionist too, but I don't remember thinking he got as sad about things going badly. As I think about it now, I suspect he just didn't say anything. Just kept it to himself. Now he's studying the relationship between perfectionists' beliefs about emotions as related to whether they hide their emotions. He's waiting to hear back about whether he's going to get a grant to do study on it this summer. I suppose he knows quite a bit about hiding emotions because of perfectionism. I used to wonder if he had any emotions when he was a teenager. He's good now though. I think being married helps. Especially to Kamille; she's amazing.

I decided we're going to be done with school May 19 instead of June 2, because Jeff has a vacation from May 20-31, and I know enough about us to know that we're not doing it after then anyway. We're set to take our standardized tests the week of the 15th, so that's perfect. We've been feeling so done anyway. It's a relief to be done for the year soon. I'm going to make better plans for next year, and Rachel will be here to help me, but not under my educational supervision; so I'm looking forward to that. She's going to do online classes and help with MyWritingCheck.com and a few other projects I've got going. She'll keep writing books as well. We're very close to publishing her first one. I'll let you know when you can get it on Amazon.

See you next week!



No comments:

Post a Comment