Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Day 140--Excitement!

Yesterday was panic time. We had a thousand questions to answer. Should we take a job that only pays half Jeff's salary to have him home more? Should we continue to lease the house we live in? We can't do that if we take the low-paying job. Should we buy a small house so we can have the option of the low-paying job so we can have him home more? Should we apply for another job that pays the same as he makes now, but he'll be home more? Should we just keep the job he has now that drives us crazy because he's gone so much? We were almost dizzy with options and opinions yesterday.

So we decided to call today and take the low-paying job, because we really need him to be around more. We didn't like it, but we thought we'd do it. And I had an appointment with a realtor to see a small house today. We also thought we'd go ahead and apply for the job that lets him be home more and make the same money he makes now. We didn't expect to hear about it any time soon. (Both these other jobs are in the training department where he works now, and he's had them both before.)

But first thing this morning, he got a call offering him the job at the same money that he makes now. The guy was going on about how great Jeff is and how he's excited to have him. He's going to be a flight instructor. He might even start in a couple weeks. Amazing! I cannot wait. It's incredible to me how much my external circumstances affect my feelings. I want to be happy no matter what, but I've noticed it really makes a difference to me what's going on around me. I need to work on that. I don't like it.

Rachel got about 17 volunteers to participate in her study about the emotional effects of journaling. I can't wait to see if it turns out like we're thinking, with people feeling better after writing in a journal. I bought Expressive Writing by James Pennabaker and John Evans. It's so interesting, but not surprising. Rachel's not asking people to do expressive writing though. That's where they write about traumatic events. We didn't want to ask people to get themselves all upset, so she just asked them to write about something that may have irritated them that day as well as regular journal stuff.

Sam's been working hard on his newest lego video entry. He decided to do it in my closet this time so there wouldn't be any changing in natural light to make it look different from frame to frame. It looks great so far. I think he only has a couple more weeks before it's due.

We've been taking Sarah out to practice driving every few days. She's totally adorable. Don't they all look like babies when they start to drive? She's getting more confident every time. She felt like she was a little reckless today. I told her I think it's just that when you get a little more confident or comfortable and learn new things, you try them out and it feels like getting worse before you get better. That's they way it is when we learn anything isn't it? Like when she masters a song on the piano, then moves on to a harder one. It feels like you're starting over. I guess you are.

See you tomorrow!



No comments:

Post a Comment