Friday, April 7, 2017

Day 137--I'm an unschooler (this week)

Every year in May, we get tired of having school. After we've finished our standardized testing, I guess we just lose motivation. I haven't even ordered the tests yet, and we've already started feeling like we just want to be done. We have 8 weeks left. That's kind of early to be wanting to stop. I wonder if it has to do with Rachel graduating. She's giving us all senioritis; I'm sure it's contagious, and she definitely has it. She only needs to finish her math book and do the research project, but she just doesn't want to. Poor thing.

So this week we haven't done anything structured. We've been reading Jane Eyre, doing some random Strayer-Upton math problems, talking, talking, and talking. And Sam's been making some new stop motion videos. Oh, and we've watched several episodes of My Favorite Martian from the 60's. I've had my brain on some things I need to do to get MyWritingCheck.com out there a little better, and Jeff's just been tired because he's working early mornings this month.

We've taken Sarah out driving a couple times. She's getting better each time, but she used the wrong pedal once and got confused and flustered. I had her pull over, put it in park and think about what the pedal does as she stepped on it (going back and forth between the pedals several times). Then the next time she had to use the break kind of fast, she said her foot went right to it. I'll have to remember that technique for other things I teach them.

So I say I'm an unschooler this week because we've been doing what we want, reading what we want, and just thinking about what we're interested in. It's good sometimes. I mean we do that all the time, but not only that. We didn't feel very productive sometimes; and when Jeff called during the day and asked what we were doing, I didn't really want to say that we weren't doing anything much. Maybe next week we'll be less tired. I just haven't been able to shake it. Of course staying up late doesn't help.

See you next week!



No comments:

Post a Comment