Monday, August 1, 2016

Day 20

Rachel's cover
The kids worked on their covers for Rachel's book today. They all started with the cover art. Of course, that's the most fun part. I'd rather write than draw, so I wouldn't have started with that. But that's me.

We downloaded several audio books for our road trip. I've never used any before; I prefer to read aloud myself. I'm not sure I understand the library website I got them from, but we'll see. Here's the thing about audio books. When I read aloud and I come across any swearing, I just scratch it out. So I'm hoping when we listen to the audio books, there won't be any swearing that we're not expecting.

Sarah's cover
It's not that I think my kids are never going to hear words I don't like, but I don't want to provide them. I figure that when we read a book, it's like inviting someone to tell a story to my kids. If I invited someone to my house to tell stories to my family and they started swearing, I would politely ask them to stop. The fact that someone is an author and has their stories published doesn't give them permission to swear in front of my kids. Anyway, I hope it works out.

Sam's cover
Tonight for Family Home Evening (we spend each Monday night together doing something as a family--spiritual lesson or activity) we planned our road trip. My dad got an old fashioned Trip Tik from Triple A, and we went over it to see where we might stop and what kind of hotels are there. It's going to be very long, but fun. And we can't wait to get to that baby and not put her down for days and days!

Rachel's sitting near me writing another book right now. I'd better get busy doing a final edit on her first one. I asked her what this new one is about, and she doesn't want to tell yet. Not just you, but me! I guess we'll all have to wait.

See you tomorrow!





2 comments:

  1. Enjoy your road trip. It sounds like a great adventure. And enjoy your granddaughter. Despite having kids in a simialar age range to youra (15-24) I don't see grandchildren in my future any time soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're so excited. Now if we can just get the air conditioning working in the car in the next 2 days! Anything to see that grandbaby! You never know, you could be a grandma in no time too.

      Delete