Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Day 29

I woke up with a terrible migraine today. That never happens. Usually I get them as the day progresses. You know we were supposed to have school today after weeks of not having it. This happens every time. I think I talked about it in a previous blog. How something always happens when we're starting school after a break. I don't know if it's tension or coincidence, but it really gets old. We had to reschedule Sam's appointment with the surgeon because of it. Now it's not til September 8th. Also, Jeff's usually working during my headaches. I don't know if I've told you he's an airline pilot; so when he's working, he's just gone.

For years I've wondered what to do about it. Sometimes I think the kids need to do some kind of charter school or distance program so they won't need me. But that's ridiculous. I've tried some of them, and they need me anyway. It's just the way it is. I just hope that what they learn from my problems will be enough to make up for what they miss because of them.

They worry sometimes that they don't know the things other kids know. But just last night we were talking about adults knowing different things from each other. I know there are certain skills everyone needs by adulthood, but think about it; Jeff doesn't say the dentist is an idiot because he doesn't know how to fly airplanes. The guy that fixed our air conditioning before our trip doesn't think I'm lacking some required knowledge because I couldn't fix it myself. Isn't that why there are businesses? Why we pay each other for things.

If you used my writing critique service (MyWritingCheck.com) to evaluate one of your child's papers this year, I'm not going to say you shouldn't need my help. We had a plumber come fix the toilets in our house, and he didn't look down on us because all we could figure out was to call him. Ok, I go on a little when my head hurts this much. I'm lucky to be sitting upright; I wasn't for most of the day. And I'm about to go to bed again.

Oh, but the kids did do some school today! They all did science. Then they did math together from a Strayer Upton book. I think they did personal reading, played badminton, cooked lunch, and they went to a youth activity at church. Rachel had to call someone and ask for a ride to that, which is good for her. Also, they warmed up my hot rag in the microwave about 100 times! Maybe tomorrow will be better, but it usually takes a few days. We'll see.



Here's another family picture.




See you tomorrow!




2 comments:

  1. Hope you're feeling better today. I sympathize with and can relate to your concerns about health issues impacting on homeschooling. I've been battling an as yet undiagnosed problem all year. Its currently leaving me incapacitated for several hours every other day. So homeschooling is a juggling act. We're learning to do the stuff I'm most needed for when I'm able. Luvkily she does a fair chunk by herself and my husband and older son help out (especially with maths) if needed at nights and weekends. Messy but mostly workable. Just frustrating that all the fun stuff is currently on hold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about the fun stuff being on hold. I feel like it's been on hold for so many years. I saw your question on Facebook about health issues and homeschooling, and I wanted to respond to it. I've been thinking about it, but I don't really have any answer. I struggle with it all the time. I know it makes the kids struggle too, but they do learn from it. I'm getting ready to write today's post, and I'll be talking about today's struggle. I hope you figure out what's causing your health issues. If you need some alternative ideas, I have some ways of finding out what's wrong that are non-traditional. Let me know if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete