Thursday, August 25, 2016

Day 30

It's after midnight, and my head is barely starting to feel a little better. I dread going to bed because it always hurts more when I wake up. So the kids and I have spent a couple days worrying about how we are actually going to accomplish school with me like this. That's funny because I've always been like this. I have always had migraines, and I've had fatigue problems for about 12 years I think. I have eliminated a lot of headaches over the years by giving up chocolate and all refined sugar, but the rain still gets me. And maybe hormones. The headaches have been worse this year (or maybe couple years). I am about to turn 46 next month though. So I guess the hormones could be changing too. So this is the way it is for now, but the kids need school.

Rachel is a senior, and she has 2 math credits to get this year. That totally stresses her out. Math has never been her thing. She's much better now, but now she feels the pressure. We thought we'd try a computer subscription type homeschool curriculum and we signed up today. But I don't think we're going to love it. They talk too fast, and I'll have to teach anyway. We'll probably drop that. We looked at other things that would be streamlined for math, but she can't feel like she wants any of them. I told her tonight that I'm probably just going to have to choose and she can just plow through. I'm thinking we'll use MathUSee. She's never been a fan of it, but I do think it's the most streamlined and will give her the best chance of getting done.

Sarah started 9th grade this year and Sam is in 8th. So we're thinking that we need something more like textbooks for Sarah. She likes that sort of thing anyway. That's what Wilson did and he came out just fine. He liked it well enough. They're very much alike in a lot of ways, so this doesn't surprise me. We're using Apologia science and MathUSee Pre-Algebra with her this year. I had big plans for a world study project, but it would take quite a bit of effort; so I'm going to have to ditch it. That's going to have to be ok. We'll just do American History/Constitution study and biographies, or maybe Geography.

Sam doesn't need textbooks. He just needs a lot of information to read. He loves statistics and specifications. He is using Apologia too, and I was going to have him wait til next year to do Pre-Algebra, but I think I'll just have him do that with Sarah. They've always done math together. He's just not so hot on procedures, but he understands concepts, so we'll see.

I don't know if these things will help us feel like they're getting somewhere when I'm out of commission, but I hope so. I also have to just make a checklist so they can handle it whenever I can't. For now, Jeff will be off tomorrow and can help them have school even if I get up feeling worse--again.

See you tomorrow!




No comments:

Post a Comment