Thursday, February 9, 2017

Day 112--No Boring Narration!

This is Rachel. Mom has a migraine, so I'm writing today. She had one last weekend and thought she was getting over it, but I guess she wasn't.

I got to work with Sam and Sarah on their math. They were learning how to convert between Fahrenheit and celsius. I loved doing that when I learned how, but I don't think it's really anything I'll use very often. Maybe if I get to travel someday, which I would love!

I love formulas, and I was trying to help Sam get used to taking a formula and plugging the numbers in. Sam does not like writing math down as he does it. It's so important to write down the steps you're taking, especially when you get into Algebra and Chemistry, but he can't see that yet. I can't blame him. I didn't realize it before, but I had to write everything down. If I can't see the math on paper I can't do it.

But Sam is an amazing math genius! He converted between Fahrenheit and celsius in seconds while I was still working through it on paper. I had him do most of them on paper even though he told me the answer before writing it. I wanted him to see how his answers came to be. Sarah is like me. She has to write everything down too.

Dad read to Sam about gorillas from the encyclopedia. Dad is so funny! He likes to read to us, repeating what the book says, and then asking us to tell him what we learned at the end of each paragraph. It's funny, but it's always been hard for us to tell back what was just read to us. I think it's hard because we all just heard it! Why would we tell him that baby gorillas play ball when he just read, "Baby gorillas play ball?"

It's most fun to tell someone something they didn't just tell you, right? When Mom came in the room after Dad tried to get Sam to tell him about baby gorillas Sam turned around and told her all about it. That's the best narration. The kind that comes from wanting to share something interesting with someone else.

Hopefully Mom will see you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment