Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Day 96--I'm an Editor!

Rachel and I have been doing a lot of editing on her book, and it seems like we'll never get done. We were talking about how editing involves tons of cutting, and she made an pretty accurate observation. She said, "It's a strategy to keep editing and editing until you hate your book so much that it doesn't bother you to cut everything out." I'd say that's true. You get so sick of reading it, you just don't care what you throw away.

Of course, it's easy for me to throw out words that aren't mine. I guess that's why I love editing other people's work so much more than my own. I just got a book in the mail today that I helped to edit (I've probably talked about it here before), and I was so excited to hold it in my hands. I guess Rachel's book will be the next one in my hands that I edited. Then hopefully, one of mine will be next!



This week, I'm working on making the MyWritingCheck website easier to use, and easier for people to pay for the service. I'm also planning a blog post for it about editing and cutting. I might even read some of the blog posts on Facebook live or youtube and talk about them. I'm thinking about a little push of "advertising" or getting the word out because most of us panic in January and feel like we need help in our homeschool. I really want the critique service to be a help to homeschoolers.

We were a little more productive for school today. I taught Sam and Sarah a couple new things for math. I just hope they remember tomorrow. Sometimes it takes several days of teaching the same thing over and over before they remember it, which I'm sure you know. I feel like there were so many things I had to do today besides school too: cooking 10 pounds of ground round to freeze for easy lunches, haircuts for Rachel and Sarah--I do that myself, youth activities at church, making New Year's cards for a few people, and on and on. By the time all that was done--and whatever else I did--I had started getting a tension headache.

Thankfully, it's almost gone and I get to go to sleep soon. I'd actually love to just stay up all night reading a book or something, but I think the sleep will do me good.

See you tomorrow!






No comments:

Post a Comment