Thursday, January 5, 2017

Day 98--Rachel's Book Cover

Rachel finally said I could show you a picture of her book cover! We're having so much fun figuring out all there is to know about self-publishing. And editing. We're hoping to finish the editing by the end of the month. I thought it would just be another week or two, but let's be real. I have the hardest time being real about how long things will take. When I was helping with the editing of Self-Motivated Kids, it was so much faster. I don't know if it's because Rachel's my daughter or if it's because non-fiction is easier for me than fiction. Maybe a little of both.

Don't the description and quote just make you want to read it right away?

 
   


I just asked Sam what we did today, and he said, "We ate pizza." I guess our school day was not extremely memorable for him. Maybe he doesn't want to remember things like working on solving for an unknown in Pre-Algebra. He says all the problems look the same. I have to admit he's right.

We did eat pizza for dinner. We eat a lot of pizza, but at least it's pretty healthy. We almost always put sautéed vegetables on it and tons of garlic. It kind of hurts my gal-bladder if I don't put the veggies on. We usually have carrots, but cauliflower is good too. We had feta cheese on it tonight; we love feta.

I started reading Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl aloud a couple days ago. I think it would be an easier book to read silently, but none of them have read it so I thought we'd just have it all at once. Right now all the kids are reading different books from the Tennis Shoes Among the Nephites series. I think this is Sam's third time through the series. We have about 10 of them, and he wants us to get the rest; but I don't think the story will end with the ones that are out already. It's a cliffhanger every time, which is fun but eventually we want to know what happens.

Science is rolling right along for everyone. I think I mentioned before that Rachel is enjoying reading through her Advanced Biology from Apologia without taking tests. She's still answering questions, taking notes, and telling us all about our bodies. Sam and Sarah occasionally seem concerned that they won't get all the way through their books by the end of the year, but I'm sure they will. We don't have any more major breaks scheduled until summer, so I think they'll be fine.

We've let history slide for a little while, but we'd better pick it back up since both the girls have to be earning credits. I use an umbrella school that keeps grades and generates transcripts, and they issue a high school diploma at the end; but that means I feel a little more pressure to categorize than I normally would. I know I don't have to, but I don't want to complicate things. They don't want your transcript looking too strange, like too many home-ec credits or something.

We need to get serious about our research projects tomorrow. It's just hard to spread out the computer time between everyone when they all have research to do at once. I feel like I need to be with each of them for that and they all need me for math. By the time I do both of those things individually with three people, I'm spent. Actually, I don't know if Sam and Sarah are going to share their project yet. I think they probably will. Sam would love Sarah to be the scribe!

See you tomorrow!



No comments:

Post a Comment