Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Day 108--Embarrassing Writing

Tonight, we found a folder of things I wrote when I was 14. Oh my goodness, it was embarrassing! There were love poems and pathetic poems about not fitting in. Very sad. I was totally ok as a teenager; I had friends. What was I thinking? I was never popular, but I truly didn't care. At least I think I didn't. Maybe I did, and I just don't remember.

You know, sometimes when our kids worry about something, I just want to say, "This isn't going to matter to you at all later." I do say that sometimes, but generally I don't want to make them feel like I'm minimizing their experiences. I'm just glad we don't stay the way we are as teenagers. They all had a howl reading my stuff. At least it was good for a laugh. Good enough to bring tears to my eyes from laughing so hard.

The kids had youth night at church, and Jeff and I were going to sit in the foyer and wait. But we decided to go into the scout court of honor since Sam was in there. He doesn't work on merit badges; he just likes to do the activities. It was nice, and I'm proud of the boys for their hard work; but I was so bored. In all honesty, our family just never has liked those things. Our boys have never wanted to be recognized, especially Sam. They were asking each one of them to tell about their favorite part, and I was thinking that would be like torture to Sam to be asked questions in front of the whole group and their parents. He barely answers my questions at home. If he ever does decide to get some badges, I'll  have to tell the leaders not to ask him about it in front of everyone.

The girls were making cute paper flowers to help decorate for someone's wedding. They looked like they were having tons of fun talking and laughing with the other girls there. We were just talking to someone today about how we don't like making crafts in a group at church because we don't have anywhere to put them. So we had to laugh that it was a crafty activity, but it was a service too so we didn't have to bring them home and find a place for them. Best of both worlds.

I had Sam choose some quotes from Anne of Green Gables to include in his response to a Think Piece Question that we're working on from the Brave Writer Boomerang. He chose some good ones. He's going to write about Anne telling Marilla about her past, and he chose, "My life is a perfect graveyard of buried hopes." Isn't that the best quote? I can't remember the other one, but it's just as good. Jeff also had him write about some Lego stuff he's planning on buying. He wrote almost a page! That's more than he usually wants to write. By a lot. He needs more exciting things to write, I guess.

See you tomorrow!



No comments:

Post a Comment