Monday, July 3, 2017

Day 151--First Day of School

Well, my plan of doing several blogs during summer break didn't really work out did it? We were so busy the whole time, which is unusual for our break. We went to Jeff's parents twice, Wilson and Kamille and Eliza came for 10 days, the kids and I went to a Youth Conference for a few days (I came and went, but they stayed at night), and we're probably going to see Wilson and Kamille again in August when Jeff has two weeks off. We're used to just sitting around getting bored during break.

So today when school started, it was almost surprising. I'm glad I don't feel the need to overplan. They started a new math book and new science books, but the rest will pretty much continue on like before with some new twists. It was strange to have Rachel not working on school with us. Her classes start July 25th, so she has a few more weeks. She's got plenty to do though. She spent the day editing the sequel to Becoming Sencra's Queen. Wait! You don't know she finally published it! We are totally excited! I have to say I'm jealous. I've been wanting to publish a book for so many years (way before she was ever born), and she got it done first. Here's the Amazon link if you want to read it.

https://www.amazon.com/Becoming-Sencras-Queen-Rachel-Trusty/dp/1541331176/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499139822&sr=8-1&keywords=becoming+sencra%27s+queen



Anyway, today she also did a lot of research for a historical fiction novel she's writing. I told her she's going to have to be the lunch lady. She can just cook lunch while we're working each day. She says she already does that! I guess she does. She's always the first one to think of even having lunch.

Sarah's so excited to be doing Biology this year. She loves science, and she loves the way the science books are written.



Sam got to start out with an experiment first thing this morning. He got to corrode a copper wire in baking soda water. And they both seemed to like Jacob's Algebra. I'm just going to use it for two years with them and call it Algebra 1 and 2.


I've been thinking about starting a writing workshop or group, but I'm not sure how to go about it. I'm not sure I know that many people that would be interested in coming. I might try it out with the kids first to sort of experiment with how to run it. We could just do it in the evening once a week and act like it's not school.

I've been doing a little editing for someone (other than Rachel) and I remembered why I love it so much. I don't have to make any decisions. With Rachel's book, we made the decisions and changes together. But with other people, I just suggest things and they do what they want. I love it!!

See you next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment