Monday, July 24, 2017

Day 158

First thing this morning, I was reading one of my Peter Elbow writing books; and he was talking about how most people don't put their full attention on what they're writing. We're usually thinking about whether the grammar is right or spelling or punctuation. I know I make changes all the time as I write. So I had us all write about something familiar, like cutting the grass or what Bubby does in the mornings.

We were supposed to focus on the content of what we were saying and not make changes or worry about it being right the first time. It was impossible for me. For Sarah and Rachel too. Sam said he never worries about that stuff anyway! I knew he was good at it, since he doesn't care much about mechanics--or writing in general. I think Jeff worries too much about it as he writes and that makes him sound stiff.

So we all read them aloud and everyone else had to say what they liked about it or what they noticed. With Jeff's we all noticed the same part--the one part where he let his voice come through. After that, I asked everyone if they changed anything as they read it to us. Some did and some didn't. Then we marked anything we thought we'd change and traded and let each other mark them. It was fun.

I love that the whole world can be our curriculum! Any book I read or anything that interests us can teach us something.

We got to the chapter in Frankenstein today where the monster comes to life. But the guy gets scared and runs away, then it's months later and no mention of the monster! Isn't he responsible for anything that creature does? Isn't he worried he's out killing people or something? We couldn't believe it.

We didn't do too much else today. Math, individual reading, mowing the lawn, feeding my niece's dog and cat since they're out of town, trying to figure out the next season of the Lego Ninjaga show (we saw a snippet and it left us wondering), editing a book for someone. The usual.

See you next time!



No comments:

Post a Comment