Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Day 156--It's Hard to Start a New Book

We were looking for a book for Sarah to read independently, and she and I decided it's hard to start a new book. First, you're not sure if you'll like it (we didn't have much luck liking the books we were reading last year). Then, you don't know the characters yet. It's hard to care much about them when you first meet them, so it's not that easy to pay attention. It feels like an emotional trauma to try to get into a new story.

Last night, I started reading The Pickwick Papers by Dickens. I've never read it before, and it was almost impossible to focus on the first few pages. I kept thinking if I could just get into it, I would be interested in the characters. Of course it didn't help that I was very tired and I only read two or three pages. I like to read at least two chapters when I start a book so I can have some idea what it's about.

So I was starting to tell Rachel about the conversation Sarah and I had had about it, and I said, "It's hard to start a new book." I was getting ready to tell her all that stuff I just told you, and she said, "Reading a book or writing one?" Haha! She reads all the time, but she's definitely got writing on the brain.

She decided to drop the online classes she was signed up for. She had been feeling like college isn't for her, but she also felt like she was expected to do it. Everyone does, you know. Really? No. I had wanted to tell her she didn't have to take classes now, because I had gotten the feeling she might be not wanting to do it. I think she wants to focus on writing right now, but she hasn't decided yet. Isn't it fun to have the entire world open to you? Everything is up for grabs. Maybe I need to remember that that's probably more true for us all than we think.

The girls were playing around with the camera the other day, and here are the fun action shots they took.

We need to watch some more of those photography lessons from The Great Courses. I'd love to learn what all those settings on the camera do. I got a tripod so I could have a better chance at the camera not moving when I take a picture. I must have shaky hands or something.


See you next time!



No comments:

Post a Comment