Friday, July 28, 2017

Day 160--Just sit there.

Yesterday, Sarah was working on her Biology and she was having to classify some bacteria. It's a little tedious, and she was working on it by herself. She usually works alone and asks me any questions she has. She kept walking in to the room I was in every few minutes and then going back to the table. She looked like she wanted something, but didn't say much. One time, she said it was kind of a pain; so I just went in and sat by her. I didn't say anything; I just sat there. She went back to classifying and did fine.

I was thinking about how I didn't have to do anything or explain what she was supposed to do. I just needed to be there. I love being there. Even when I don't have to do any teaching. I guess she felt more confident or it gave her more stamina or she just knew I could answer questions right away because I was sitting there. I also wasn't doing my own thing at the table. I was watching her work. I was with her, not simply next to her. Sometimes being next to them is the thing, though. Like when we're all reading silently. I don't sit and watch them; I read. My homeschool isn't about just getting them to do everything alone. It actually takes time, and that's exactly where I want my time to be.

I especially like editing with Rachel. We each read silently from the same computer screen and stop when we notice something. We usually notice the same things (I love that). Then we talk about it briefly and we always agree on how it should be in the end. Maybe it's genetics, because not everyone I edit for wants to do what I suggest. Editing together is fun, because I might suggest something to Rachel that sparks something better in her mind. So when we do it as a team, it's always the best we can make it.

here's the auto setting
I practiced taking some photos for our "assignment" from the Great Courses photography course. I tried several different settings to get more light or softer color or whatever, and the auto setting is always the best one! that may be because I can't keep straight which settings let in more light or how that works. I'd love to be able to change things to make more interesting pictures.
fast shutter speed
slower shutter speed
large aperture or slow shutter--I forget

I can't ever get the photos to go where I want them on this page! It's a little frustrating. If anyone knows how to do that, I'd love for you to tell me!

Last night, Rachel and I went to an activity for the women at our church, and we got to ride horses!! We loved it. A couple years ago, we spent the day riding in the Smokey Mountains. It was the first time we had ever done it. We were staying at a horse ranch and we got a little lesson and had a several hour ride. Last night was a similar kind of trail, but we only had about 20 minutes each. It was so fun though. We're definitely going to have to find a way to do more of that.

See you next time!



No comments:

Post a Comment