Monday, July 31, 2017

Day 161--Rabbit Trails

This morning Sam was reading about the history or architecture and he said, "The library has Doric columns."

"Oh, what's that?"

"Columns that widen out at the bottom so they don't look like they're collapsing."

"Wow, let's look at the library on street view."

So we looked, and sure enough, the columns were fatter near the bottom. Then we wondered how old the library was, so we looked that up. And there was a newspaper article about when it was built--1907, for $9,000! As he was reading the article, he asked, "Who is Carnegie Hall named after?"

"I don't know. Why?"

"Andrew Carnegie donated some money for the building of the library."

"Look him up and see if it's the same man."

Don't you love just letting yourself wonder about things and just going ahead and finding out? Now I don't advocate sitting on the internet all day or even jumping to search everything we wonder about. Sometimes we need to stay on task, but sometimes we don't. He's likely to remember those things, even if they're not supremely important. I'm very opinionated about wondering and how questions lead to learning. There's going to be a section in my homeschool book about it.

I got him signed up for the Brave Writer Comic Strip Capers class today! I'm totally excited. I just wish we didn't have to wait til October.

Sam was looking at the Lego website and found a big set with some kind of car thing that runs down the outside of the building on smooth tracks. So he looked up the building instructions to see how they did it and replicated it. It was pretty cool. Bubby like it too. He likes to watch Sam when his legos are in motion. See the car? It's the blur at the bottom.


We watched another photography lesson after lunch. This one will be easier to practice. It was about composition. How to place your subjects in the frame. No messing with camera settings. Hey, I think the picture above follows some of the rules he gave! Even though I did take it with photo booth on the computer, and I was just trying to make sure the lego creation and the cat were both in the picture. But it worked anyway.

Math was torture today. I'm not even telling you about it. You can thank me.

See you next time!



No comments:

Post a Comment