Friday, July 7, 2017

Day 153--Much Better Day!

Today was so much better than yesterday. Algebra went very smoothly for Sarah and Sam, and science was a breeze too. We finished Jane Eyre yesterday, so I decided to read a quick and easy book before starting on The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Don't laugh, but I started reading Harriet the Spy. None of us have ever read it. It's not our usual, but hopefully we'll get a giggle out of it. Harriet is 11 and she has a spy notebook where she writes all kinds of things about the people around her. Sounds pretty silly.

Rachel edited again most of the day. She thinks it's nice to not have school to do yet. She did look at some degree programs at BYU-I (Brigham Young University-Idaho) where she's taking online classes starting on the 25th. She's interested in International Studies, but she isn't sure how she would actually use that degree. So she found that they have a degree called Interdisciplinary Studies where you study two or three areas of emphasis. She was looking at some international stuff, but also some writing and psychology. It sounds perfect for her. I think she's pretty excited. She's planning to continue writing books, and she would love to travel around and write about it.

Considering how much Rachel has learned about writing by my editing her book with her, I thought that would be a great way to teach Sam and Sarah more about writing too. I'm not sure how to do it. I could have them practice on some of Rachel's writing. I thought it might be more fun for them if it wasn't there own. Or I could have them help me do parts of a book I'm editing for a young writer from a Facebook group Rachel and I joined. I could write something for them to edit, but I think that would be harder. I sort of self-edit as I go most of the time, so I don't think that would work too well. I think it would feel contrived.

I know you're not really supposed to edit as you go, but it drives me crazy to not like the way something sounds and then leave it to fix later. I think it would distract me more than changing it. I'm not saying I don't do plenty of editing after I write, but I do like to fix the glaring things right away. In fact, the longer I wait in between writing and editing, the more I see that needs fixing. That's why I like the style of this blog; it's out there before I can get any distance from it, so I can't change it. I also don't read it over later very often.

I just have to include another picture of Eliza Jayne. She loves the baby dolls!



Have a great weekend!
See you next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment