Monday, July 18, 2016

Day 10

Who thought we'd have school today? After the Brave Writer retreat last week, and the girls going to a Youth Conference for 12 hours on Saturday, and my having  migraine yesterday, there was no way. Even without the migraine, I might not have had the brain power for it. I have not gotten enough sleep for the last week. Well, longer really. A lot longer.

So I said today that I want us to just have the feeling that learning is what we do, and I don't want this "new school year feeling" of having school separate from life. It's ridiculous. Then Sarah said, "Did Julie Bogart do that to you?" That's so funny because we all love to listen to Julie. I guess Sarah was referring to having been at the retreat. I had to laugh, because I've always felt that way; but the retreat reiterated what I already know. So I guess she did do that to me.

I mentioned on my Day 4 post that I don't want to feel uncomfortable with my limitations any more, so I guess this is another aspect of it. It's related for sure, because feeling like we have to have a time for living and a different time for learning definitely doesn't recognize limitations--besides being unreasonable. I'm going to be working on the atmosphere of learning just being what we do, and it doesn't have to be a certain time of day. Although, I still won't make appointments during the day because that is when we're doing academic stuff. Did I just contradict myself? Here's a little video about that from last year.

We did have learning today. We watched another couple episodes of That Great British Baking Show on pbs.org. We learned that in England, they call cookies biscuits. And we learned that biscotti has to be baked, sliced and baked again to make it dry enough (looked hard to us). Also, we decided we probably wouldn't like it. Maybe if we dunked it.

Tonight we watched some of the Republican National Convention. I won't comment on it except to say that Sarah got bored and wanted to stop watching pretty soon. So we took a break and played Sardines. Have you ever played? It's like reverse Hide and Seek. One person hides while everyone else counts; and when it's time to look, each person that finds the original person hides with them. It's pretty funny. Especially when the hiding place isn't big enough for everyone. Try it!


See you tomorrow!




No comments:

Post a Comment