Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Day 11

Ok, you asked for it. I told you when I started that I was going to show you what it's like around here for real. And here it is. Another yuk day. But don't give up on us; we've planned some really cool things this year, and I cannot wait to tell you about them!

I started reading Matilda to the kids. I thought it would be very light and fast, maybe funny. We don't get caught up in how old the intended audience is for books, although most of our family books are things like Murder on the Orient Express or The Scarlet Letter. But once in a while, I figure we can take it easy.

I'm not sure we'll continue the book though. We don't really love it so far. I'm not one to say you can't read books where some characters are mean or even terrible, but we don't like rude. Isn't that funny? If you're snippy and calling people names, we just don't like you. The dad in Matilda is just so rude to her and hates her. It's hard to read verbal abuse aloud. Harder than murder! I've never read it, and I don't know if she runs away or how she deals with it. I'm supposing she's vindicated by the end, but all that rude talk is so annoying. We'll see.

About every two years, I get this awful stomach ache for a day and then it goes away. Today was that day. I thought this time, that might be about how long I lay off cashews or maybe sunflower seeds or almonds and then decide I can eat a bunch of them again. I overdid it last week, and I was fine. But I had some more of both this morning and suddenly I was suffering. It is extremely difficult to think or teach anything while I'm nauseated. Blah!

In math today, Sarah had to figure out if a fish tank had more or less than one cubic foot of water in it. The tank was 12 inches wide, 18 inches long, and 11 inches tall. The water came up to two inches from the top. So, more or less than one cubic foot?

They all did science. Sam is about ready for a chapter test. He's been doing them orally so far, and I wanted him to do this one written; but I'm not sure about it. It's so excruciating for him. Honestly. He's not just a whiner. I found Sarah at the table with her science. Yay! Not Rachel, though. She got antsy sitting there just for family scripture time. When she was a baby, we had to stand her in her playpen by the table to eat, because she couldn't stand to sit in her high chair! I guess it's just how she's made.

Sam got Rachel and Sarah both Lego accounts today so they could enter the contest he entered for the  stop action video. (Did I tell you about it?) Rachel submitted hers. I'm not sure what Sarah will do, but now they can sign in and vote for him!

I'm going to call this "low tide" time for school. Melissa Wiley spoke at the amazing Brave Writer retreat last week, and she talked about tidal homeschooling. Here's a link to her blog so you can read about it. http://melissawiley.com/tidal-homeschooling/

So now, I'm going to find a movie and hopefully my stomach will feel good enough to eat beef tips and roasted cauliflower. Hmm, that may be a stretch!

Oh, I also promised you that I'd show you videos on youtube, but I have totally forgotten to even take one video of us having school! I will work on that, but in the meantime you can watch our trip to the zoo a few weeks ago!

See you tomorrow!






3 comments:

  1. I'm impressed by your commitment to blog each homeschool day. I struggle with weekly. I've just updated my blog after a month long hiatus. Glad you enjoyed the retreat. Loved the bits I saw on Periscope. Not as good as being there but international air travel made that unaffordable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just clicked on your name and found your blog. I can't wait to read it! I'm assuming this is the Sandra that let me critique your daughter's paper! I'm doing a MyWritingCheck blog with tips for writing in our homeschools. It's listed on my profile if you're interested. By the way, don't be too impressed with my blogging each day. I tried it last year and only got to something like 42 days. I thought I'd try again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep - I'm that Sandra. I'm impressed you lasted 42 days blogging daily. I'm convinced my entries would all be the same - she did maths,did some writing, did some ornithology and then went to the gym. In fact that is pretty much how my weekly posts go. Things were more interesting when I was homeschooling more kids and they were younger.

      Delete