Monday, July 11, 2016

Day 6

If you ask my kids, they might say that we didn't have school today. But we did. We read quite a bit of Tuck Everlasting this morning, and then we made lunch while Jeff went to the furniture warehouse to pick up my dining room table--finally! It is totally solid wood. It weighs an absolute ton. I love it!

While we ate lunch, we had a great conversation about capital punishment. I don't even remember how we got on the subject, but we all talked about how we felt about it. The kids were shocked that Jeff and I weren't completely disgusted by it. I think we grew up knowing it happened, and our kids haven't really heard that much about it.

After lunch, we all went with Jeff to his teeth cleaning and we sat in the waiting room doing math. Actually, Rachel was working on another book she's writing while Sam and Sarah did math. We just did a sheet of problems to review today. The dentist has this cute little kid table in the waiting room with picture books and a couple toys. We sat in the tiny chairs and read and played with the bead toy, then we giggled our way through the math sheet.

When we got home we put the table together. It seems like all the instructions for things like that are without words. I'm kind of mean; I always say you have to be a non-reader to figure out instructions these days; they aren't for people who are literate. The pictures aren't always extremely clear to me. I don't know why they don't just put words and pictures. Seems like that would cover everyone. Maybe companies just can't find anyone to hire that knows how to write instructions. I'd better have the kids practice that!

We had them figure out the diagrams and get the washers and nuts in order and they had to help us find the right socket wrench in the mess Jeff calls a toolbox. The socket wrench was fun; they all wanted their turn. We got the table done and one of the six chairs. I think it'll take a day or two to get the other chairs done. I told Jeff that in the morning when I go downstairs, I'll be surprised to have the table there; because I will have forgotten in my sleep. That'll be exciting.

See you tomorrow!






No comments:

Post a Comment