Friday, July 8, 2016

Day 5

We started reading Tuck Everlasting today. Maybe that was last night, but we read quite a bit of it today. Some books just have to be read fast. In fact, we'd like to just sit around reading books all the time. We have a hard time quitting for the day. I'll probably read more before bed. You know when I say we're reading something, I'm talking about my reading aloud.

I've had homeschool moms ask when to stop reading aloud to their kids, and I say never! Certainly, they read to themselves. I know Charlotte Mason said not to read their school books to them once they can read on their own, but I can't think she meant to never read as a family. But if you want to read their school books to them, go ahead. With most kids it naturally comes to an end anyway. They find out they can understand and study better if they read to themselves. I say don't worry about it.

The kids have been building a train track with Thomas the Tank Engine tracks for the last couple days. If you look closely, you can see that they don't like to have much of it touching the floor. They'll use anything to prop it up as high as it will go so the trains are in peril at every turn. We were talking about how they still like to use kid toys, but they change their purpose. Sometimes I've wondered if other teenagers are like this. Then I think if they're not, that's a little sad. Outgrowing play isn't required.

A couple years ago, the mom of a 12 year old was telling me she loved how her son still liked to play at the park and play with his little siblings, and she was sad thinking he would stop all that soon. I felt like shouting, "He doesn't have to!" My 4 kids still chase each other around when they're all together. My oldest will be 23 in a couple weeks. My husband, Jeff chases them around when they're playing. Hey, maybe that's why football was invented. So grown men could chase each other around without being embarrassed. Really. Play should never end!

In yesterday's blog, I said I was not going to feel uncomfortable with my limitations any more. Today I had a chance to prove it. Jeff's mom called, and I told her we were all tired today like zombies. She asked how we managed when I have a headache or fatigue. (Now I have to say, there is no "mother-in-law" feeling with her. None of our parents have ever thought we shouldn't homeschool or worried much about our kids because of it. They all see that the kids are just fine, and I am very thankful for that.) So I didn't feel like she was grilling me or anything. She was just wondering.

I got to answer the question with comfort about my limits and confidence that the kids will be fine. I told her that I couldn't teach any new math concept or anything like that, but we did things like watch documentaries, look up current events, or just read. Today we watched a show I've never seen before on pbs.org. I think it was called The Great British Baking Show or something like that. It was kind of fun. We don't have a tv, and I don't think the kids have ever watched a "bake off" type show. That all sounded good to her. I think it also helps to have a son that went all the way through homeschool and all the way through college with a 4.0 (well, his 4.0 might have slipped to a 3.95 after getting married).

See you next week!




No comments:

Post a Comment