Thursday, July 21, 2016

Day 13

Today I took Rachel in to get her driver's permit renewed. She's had it for a while, but it expired because we're lazy. I'm not ready for her to get her license yet, so we got her a new permit. She hasn't driven for three or four months since it was expired. She said, "I wonder if I'll remember how to turn the car on!" She did.

Sam and Sarah stayed home while Rachel and I were doing that, and it took forever! It was actually the first time they had stayed without Rachel being with them too. They were supposed to do their science while I was gone, but they both ended up needing help so they waited.

I had someone tell me recently that they thought my kids were old enough to stay home and do their schoolwork while I went out and did something this person wanted me to do. I told her that they still need me to be available the whole time. I said that I'd get in trouble if I were a public school teacher and left in the middle of the day. I wondered why high schools have teachers if it was just about how old the kids are. I guess I was feeling a little defensive. It's hard for people to see what you're doing as anything more than just staying at home. I have to defend school time fiercely sometimes. I'm bad at it, but I'm practicing.

After lunch today, we went to my parents' house to help get a couple rooms ready for my brother and his family to come spend the week next week. I can't wait to see them!

When we got home, we made vegetable stir fry for dinner. We didn't have any meat to put in it, and I am starving now! I guess I need to get to the store soon. After dinner, we watched a couple episodes of That Girl online instead of doing dishes. We like to watch old shows. We don't have a tv to watch anything new, and I'm fairly sure we wouldn't be interested anyway. We'll just stick to our old shows. Dick Van Dyke, That Girl, Doris Day, Gomer Pyle, Andy Griffith, etc. We think they're fun. Although the kids don't like Ozzie and Harriet as much as I do. They like to tell me that Ozzie lies and gets himself in trouble all the time. Pretty funny.


Here's a picture of Rachel, Sarah and me line dancing at the retreat.


See you tomorrow!




2 comments:

  1. Teaching learner drivers is my least favourite parenting task so far. And my 15 yo is couunting down the days until she turns 16 and can get her learners license. I think it is equivalent to your permit. Once she passes the theory test she is then allowed to drive so long as there is a licensed driver in the front passenger seat. That first time on the road is always nervewracking- for me if not them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. They're never as scared as they should be! It was actually funny. When we pulled out of the exam station with her driving, I said, "Most people who pull away from here with their child driving are terrified." I wasn't nervous since she's been driving for two years with a permit. We're waiting til she's 18 in October for her license--and til she gets some highway driving experience, which we definitely aren't ready for just yet!

      Delete