Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Day 2

We've been reading Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None for a few weeks. So today when we started reading, we decided we had to find out what happened. I actually read aloud for three hours without a break! My throat was a little tired, but we found out. I have to say the end was kind of creepy. We had read Murder on the Orient Express a few months ago and weren't creeped out. But this was different. When we finished Murder on the Orient Express, we thought about having a murder mystery party where the teens at church would come and dress up as characters and act it out. But when we finished this book, we all decided we didn't want to read it again. We were caught off guard by the bizarre ending.  We do love a good mystery, though. Maybe we'll have to read a Nancy Drew next; not too creepy. In fact, I like to read Nancy Drew before bed since you never really have to worry about her.

Today, we were talking about remembering things and Sam said, "When people ask how I have something memorized, I say I don't have it memorized. I just know. When you like something, you just know." He loves statistics and can always remember them after reading them in the newspaper or encyclopedia. He has no problem remembering all kinds of Lego facts after looking them up. He just knows.

This is why I advocate letting the kids find out things they want to find out. Isn't that what adults do? I don't mean that they only have to learn what they think they'd like, but there are ways of making almost anything interesting. As a parent, I let them see me being interested in different things and they feel like that's the way to be.

And it is.

Maybe even more important than that is my being interested in what they have to say. I love when Sam tells me all kinds of stuff about Legos. He knows that his interests are legitimate, so he can know everyone's interests are. If everyone's interests are legitimate, then maybe he ought to look into some of them. Be interested! Having questions means we want to learn more, so always help your kids answer their questions.

See you tomorrow!




No comments:

Post a Comment