Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Day 17

We did our freewrites about Bubby today. They were cute. I was surprised at how many different things each of us said about him. Here's a little sample from each of them.

Sam likes statistics: "Bubbarito is in the feline species of the Domesticated Short Hair breed and stands about 19" tall (including tail) has darker and lighter gray stripes and has a white chest."

(Bubbarito is one of the many nicknames they have for him.)

Sarah: "Sometimes when I'm sitting in the blue recliner, he comes up to the arm, his eyes getting bigger by the minute, he jumps up in my face and meows long and loud, as if I hadn't already noticed him!"

Rachel: "Scratching, purring, meowing, sleeping, and bird watching are Bubby's favorite hobbies. His eyes get huge whenever there is something on the floor for him to attack. He crouches low, wiggles his hips, and darts at the thing he wants."

Me: "He sits by the glass door watching birds. He squishes his body against the wall by the door so the birds can't see him. He's very sneaky."

I love how each of the kids let their writing sound just like them. And reading them aloud has an amazing affect. You really can hear what you would want to change if you were revising.

We saw an old church tonight on our way somewhere that said it was built in 1853. So I asked Sam to figure out how old it was--he's the fastest at it. After he said it was 163 years old, I asked him what steps he took to get that. He had a TON of them. I try to take fewer steps, but I took longer to figure it out. Rachel told me the steps she took figuring it out. I didn't understand hers right away, but it was right. So I asked Sarah how she would figure it out, and she said, "I don't want to." She's the one that insists on paper and pencil!

The kids ended the evening with a Lego video game lesson from Sam. I can't play them. I get too tensed up. Sam doesn't seem to though. He's way less tense than I am in general anyway.


See you tomorrow!



No comments:

Post a Comment