Friday, July 22, 2016

Day 14




Today we giggled through a writing exercise from the Writer's Jungle from Brave Writer. It's a "Keen Observation" exercise. You pick an object and observe it in detail using all your senses, and there are questions listed to get you thinking. The giggling came in when we chose Bubby the cat as our object. Some of the questions just cracked us up. Like, "Can you cut it open with a knife?" or "Can you remove the parts?" Of course we couldn't answer the questions about the sense of taste! We made a list of descriptive words on the board. Maybe we'll write about him Monday.



I like the idea of using the cat, because we can tell stories about his personality as well as what we can take in with our senses. Should be fun. I'll try to remember to post their descriptions next week.

Rachel finished The Scarlet Letter again today, and I saw her looking up words in the dictionary afterward. The last sentence or two had to be clarified. I haven't read it for 30 years, so I was no help. I did help her understand some of the words she looked up though. Sarah's still reading it. She just told her dad, "You struggle to understand every sentence, but that's ok. I like it." She likes words like me. She says it's not one of those books where your mind can wander! Rachel wants to explain it to Dad, so she's making Sarah leave the room so as not to spoil the ending.

Grandma called today and asked Sarah to play some songs for her on the piano. She loves when the kids play instruments or sing. My husband plays the piano and she's always loved listening to him play, and she has CD's of Wilson playing, that he's always recorded for her. Now she calls Sarah and wants to listen to her on the phone. She also likes it when Rachel sings with Sarah playing. Sam and I are good at listening to the others. We've started on drums, but haven't gotten far. If it was a steel drum, I might get further. I just love to listen to the steel drum. Maybe some day!

We read a little more of Matilda today. I still don't know about it, but she did go to school and her teacher Miss Honey is very nice. We'll see. I may have to donate it to the library.

See you next week!










No comments:

Post a Comment