Thursday, September 1, 2016

Day 34

Today Rachel worked on the cover for her book. She decided to use a photo instead of a drawing or painting. She put on my wedding dress, fixed her hair and had us take pictures of her from the back, looking thoughtful. She'll have the title across the top above her head. Can you tell it's a wedding dress? Jeff asked where the dress came from. I guess 27 years is too long to remember. He's so funny.

We spent most of the morning on this project. She emailed it to her grandpa, and he asked if she was supposed to be forlorn, thoughtful, or just sad. She said that it was perfect that he couldn't tell and apparently it's perfect that people didn't necessarily realize it was a wedding dress. I really need to get in gear and edit that book. I haven't read the whole thing yet. She keeps going over it, but it's finally ready for my editing now. And since my head's not killing me tonight, maybe I can start on it before I go to sleep.

Sarah's been working on a simplified version of Moonlight Sonata. It's sort of a surprise for her grandma. Jeff just got home and she asked him to play it for her so she can see if she's doing it right. He says she's doing well, but there are a few little things she needs to do. She showed me the difference between her version and Jeff's version. It's all the same to me. I think it's amazing that people can play more than one note at a time. I played the flute in junior high, but you can only play one note, you know. Also, when a piano plays with an orchestra, the pianist has to memorize the music while all those one-note-at-a-time instruments have their music in front of them! Why is that? Pianists are just impressive, I suppose!

Sam started on his science study guide today. He's pretty cute working on that, talking about how many definitions he has to memorize. I think I'll have him take the in writing this time. He doesn't know that. I don't think I'll tell him while he's working on the study guide. That seems like a lot of writing to him already. He really doesn't love putting his pen to the paper, unless it's to draw. In fact, Rachel asked him to illustrate the first page of each chapter of her book with a tiny drawing. He's been working on another stop action lego video today. He does that while I read aloud. He usually needs to do something while I read. It helps him listen. I have recently realized that I can't listen to someone reading aloud. I pay no attention at all. Maybe
I've always been that way. Good thing I'm usually the one reading!

See you tomorrow!




No comments:

Post a Comment