Thursday, September 22, 2016

Day 47

Last night at the moms meeting, we talked about how long we've been homeschooling and how we started. There were 4 ladies besides me last night. We have about 4 more that couldn't make it. So we have a variety of methods, curricula, and "years of service" in our group. One lady was even homeschooled herself. I think we'll add her mom to the group.

We also talked about getting into college and high school transcripts and diplomas. We talked about staying in our pajamas all day and how our kids can tell we're going out or someone is coming to dinner because of the level of clean in the house and the amount of food we're cooking. It was just so nice. I've never felt like anyone was against what I do, but I've never felt like people can really understand it. Most people seem to think we're just hanging around at home with nothing to do. But you and I know it's a full time job. Actually it's 2 full time jobs isn't it?

I decided today that only a couple truly academic things can happen each day. Is that reasonable? Maybe that's why it feels like all we do is math and science. Today, we mostly read The Sherwood Ring. The chapters are excessively long in that book, but we don't want to stop in the middle of one. Each one is a complete story on its own. Who can stand to let a story go unfinished?

I really need to get my ideas together on the book report assignments. I'm going to make them interesting. No summaries. They're going to do things like interview the main character, or write a letter from one character to another or make up a story line that might be going on in the background of the plot. I guess that's called a sub-plot. Should be fun.

Rachel watched 2 or 3 MathUSee lessons today. I ordered her the Geometry because she hasn't done that yet. It's on its way, but in the meantime she's watching the digital lessons. Sam and Sarah worked on a math sheet where procedures and rules were involved. I'm going to have to back up and get logical with Sam. The rules just drive him crazy. They make him forget what he already knows how to do logically. Sarah just blasted through it loving the security of knowing the rules. It honestly amazes me how different they can be. Lots of different personalities here!

See you tomorrow!




No comments:

Post a Comment