Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Day 45--Protecting "school" time

Do you ever have trouble getting people (or even yourself) to respect your school time? I know not everyone does school during the day, but whatever times you're working should be respected by yourself and others. I usually have several phone calls a day from people I don't know, and I've had to try different solutions to not let them disturb school. I use a land line at home, so I have the ringer off. I don't want to be absolutely unreachable; sometimes my extended family has had emergencies I needed to help with.

So I have the answering machine on and when people start talking I can tell if I have to answer. I never do, but we have to hear all those messages and that gets old. Since the little car accident last week, doctors and lawyers have been calling me. Someone from a lawyer's office even came to my door today! The same places have been calling over and over.

I also had to defend my school time firmly today with a lady that keeps wanting me to do things before 4:00. I've been telling her for months that I can't, but she doesn't agree. I even told her that if I was a teacher in a school and I left during the day, I would probably get fired. No effect.

So what do you do to protect your school time? Let me know.

We read chapter 2 of The Sherwood Ring today. Looks like we're going to like this one. Finally! So far, it's got a little history, a little mystery, and a few ghosts.

Right now, I'm sitting and waiting for the kids at their church youth activities. Sam is at a scout court of honor. Maybe I should have gone with him, but he's not into awards and recognition; so there's not much reason for me to go in. I could go support the other boys, but I guess I'm not going to tonight. They really don't know me very well yet, so I think they'll be ok. Rachel wants me to work on editing her book while I wait, but I haven't yet. I guess I'd better go do that. I have about 20 minutes left to wait.

See you tomorrow--and I'll tell you all about the Moms' support group!




No comments:

Post a Comment