Monday, September 26, 2016

Day 49

First thing this morning, Jeff and I had to go to get our car registrations renewed. As soon as I walked into the Bureau of Motor Vehicles, I could smell an unreasonably strong perfume smell, so I told Jeff I'd get a headache and I'd have to wait out on the sidewalk. I watched him through the window until his number was called, and then I ran in. He was explaining to the worker that I needed to wait outside until my registration was ready to sign, but she got it ready in about 20 seconds! I couldn't believe it. I've never seen anything go so fast at the BMV! I signed it and ran back outside, and she told Jeff that it was some kind of room freshener that was automatic or something and the workers had no control over it. It was absurd. It smelled like someone had spilled a bottle of perfume in there. Thankfully I didn't get a headache.

While we were gone, Sarah helped Rachel rehearse for the video audition for that church video I mentioned Friday. She needed to submit it today, so they did a few recordings and we watched them all and helped her choose which to send. She did a good job. She loves that kind of thing. I wish I could get her into a play or something. My moms' group told me about a group that does a play every year, but they practice every Friday for 4 hours! Every Friday. All school year. They don't do the play until June, and you can only miss 2 rehearsals! I can't commit to that with my health. Frankly, even if my health were perfect, I'm not sure I could commit to that. I think it's way too much.

We watched a question and answer session with the independent presidential candidate, Evan McMullin, during lunch. I think it's been sad that within the memory of my children, I haven't been able to teach them to respect the office of president in the way that I learned to. And this year, the presidential election stuff has just been ridiculous. But Evan McMullin actually answers questions. Every one of them. He has a brain, morals and worthwhile experience.

My kids hear everyone talking about how they have to pick one of the big candidates even though they don't want either one of them. But we teach them to vote for someone that they can feel good about. Someone who manifests ideals that we agree with. To actually vote "for" someone and not just against someone worse. I'm so relieved that I can vote "for" someone. I want to be able to look in the mirror after voting.

The other day, I heard Rachel tell her cousin it made her wish she wasn't turning 18 until after the election. That's pretty sad. It should be so exciting getting to vote for the first time--not nauseating. We also watched some of the presidential debate tonight. Now that was nauseating. And boring.

We finished The Sherwood Ring today. We really liked it. Maybe we're out of our boring book slump. I'm going to have to think of some little thing they can write about it tomorrow. Maybe I should have them do a short summary since I'm not having them do any summarizing for their book reports. Maybe I'll have them write on note cards to make it a bit more interesting--and short.

See you tomorrow!



No comments:

Post a Comment