Monday, September 19, 2016

Day 44

We registered Rachel to take the ACT next month. She isn't looking forward to it. Tests aren't her thing. She seemed pretty worried today, so we went through some of the questions on the practice test on the website. She did much better than she was expecting. I knew she could handle it, but my kids have so little standardized testing experience. I intend to keep it that way, but it's hard when they do have to take them. I told her that even if we'd had more tests in our homeschool, she would never have felt the same pressure kids feel when they take tests at school. We just don't have that here.

Even just sitting there with other kids taking a test causes things. Do you remember? You don't want to be the first one done, or the last one done (to avoid looking like a show-off or like the dumb kid). You even feel self-conscious turning the page. Someone might notice you. You wonder if the other kids are having a hard time remembering the answers; but no, they never have any trouble. You can't quite figure out exactly the answer the teacher is looking for on that one question. They never want to know what you learned, only what you can't remember. I guess she'll know those feelings soon enough. We'll have to set up a timed practice for her.

Sarah started learning about chemical formulas today. She seemed to like it. I remember thinking they were fun. I forgot to do Sam's science test with him today. I was going to go over it orally one more time. I guess I'm not really sure when I'll have him start writing them. He's so good at explaining things to me, I don't need to test him. But I guess I will anyway.

We started to read The Sherwood Ring today. If this one doesn't work out, I'm just going to read Anne of Green Gables again. It seems like it'll probably be fine though. I wonder why I'm having so much trouble picking out books this year. Maybe we're getting too picky. We like our books to be good.

I am totally excited! I honestly don't remember if I mentioned that some of the homeschool moms at church decided to start a little support group. I've never had anyone at all to talk to about homeschool in 18 years of doing it. I mean, I can always talk to my family who is completely supportive and positive about it. But I've never had any homeschool mom to talk to. They're coming over Wednesday evening. I can't even imagine what to talk about with them. Usually when I talk about homeschooling, people think it's interesting enough, but they can't relate. It's going to be so fun!

Today I put this new picture of Eliza on my desktop, and every time I opened up the computer I had a "cute attack" about it. That's what Rachel said. Tell me you didn't have a cute attack when you saw it!

See you tomorrow!



No comments:

Post a Comment