Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Day 50--Locked out of the house

Today is my birthday. When I woke up, I could hear the girls downstairs making me a cake. Yay for teenagers! It had carmel on it, and it was so yummy. I also had an email from Jeff first thing. Nothing like a birthday love note. It was a nice relaxed morning, and I finally took a shower right before lunch. I can't remember what we did for school before that; because a little while after lunch, we locked ourselves out of the house!

My parents came by to bring me a birthday card (they were on their way out to eat for their anniversary--yes, I was an anniversary present), and they weren't getting out of the car because it was raining. So we went out to see them at the car, and one of the kids pulled the door shut. It has a very stupid lock arrangement. It doesn't unlock when you turn it, so if you don't do it on purpose you get locked out. It happens all the time, but there has always been someone left in the house to open the door.

I thought of having the fire department get us in, but I didn't really want to do that. The neighbor used to have a key, but they gave it to us when we moved in. I called the landlord several states away and he asked his brother-in-law (who lives around here) if he still had a key, but no. Finally, we called a locksmith. I think I'll have an extra key made and give it to my parents. Locksmiths are expensive.

We read some more of The Making of America today. I found this amazing quote that perfectly describes what is going on with the government. It's on page 10. Someone named Samuel Langdon said it. ". . .be careful in your choice of your representatives and the higher powers of government. Fix your eyes upon men of good understanding and known honesty; men of knowledge, improved by experience; men who fear God and hate covetousness; who love truth and righteousness, and sincerely wish for the public welfare. . . Let not men openly irreligious and immoral become your legislators. . . If the legislative body are corrupt, you will soon have bad men for counselors, corrupt judges, unqualified justices, and officers in every department who will dishonor their stations. . . Never give countenance to turbulent men, who wish to distinguish themselves and rise to power by forming combinations and exciting insurrections against government. . ."

Amazing isn't it? People have not put men of good understanding, honesty, etc into power and now look at the mess. All those things he warned against have happened! Incredible.

We didn't get to start a new book today since we were locked out for 4 hours, but I did have the kids work on their book reports for a while. Sam's doing a story board of The Sherwood Ring. He's drawing at least 4 scenes with a label or caption under each. I wanted him to do some dialog, but he didn't put people in the first picture. I really don't think he heard me tell him what all I expected. I'll have to write it down for him so he can keep it in mind.

Rachel is writing a scene from her book from the perspective of a different character than how the original was written. She's doing Shakespeare Stealer. I don't know what scene she chose, but she's having fun with it.

Sarah is doing Understood Betsy. She did a freewrite to get herself started. She's writing a letter from Betsy to her aunt back home about what it's like staying with her other relatives. I can't remember their names right now. I suggested to her that she might write one letter with the perspective of just having left and one from the perspective Besty has after she's been gone a while and has learned to take care of herself. I can't wait til they get them done; I'm excited to read them!

See you tomorrow!






No comments:

Post a Comment