Thursday, October 13, 2016

Day 57--Let go of Guilt and Worry

Of course nobody would think they had to have school while their child was recovering from major surgery, so why did I start to have a guilty moment last night for not having school with the girls this week? I almost had to ask some other homeschool moms to reassure me that I didn't need to worry. But I'm so proud of myself for stopping that worry before I let it get to me. As I was considering posting on some homeschool forum, I thought about how I would respond to someone in my situation. Of course I would tell her It's completely unnecessary to have school at a time like that!

Lots of times, we can just keep going even when it's tough. But there are times for me when I'm trying to serve from an empty plate. It's at those times that I just have to let learning happen in ways that maybe I'd rather not. It's going to anyway. Like Sam learning how it feels to eat clear liquids for five days, and thinking he would starve to death--finding out he can do hard things. Learning to trust others like surgeons and nurses. I like to take care of it all and have control of the situation. But when I'm serving from an empty plate, I just can't help anybody. And I definitely can't have school.

Rachel learned something valuable over the last week or so. She's taking the ACT next Saturday and has been pretty nervous, especially about the math. We were planning to go over and over the practice questions together. I don't know if she just gave up on me or if she had a personal insight, but she told me that she just wasn't going to worry herself about it. We'll go over the practice problems, but she has given up the worry and fear. Maybe we helped each other learn the same lesson this week.

Sam's coming home from the hospital tomorrow, but I'll try to post anyway.
See you then!


No comments:

Post a Comment