Monday, October 31, 2016

Day 67--Halloween, and I don't care

I'm a Halloween Scrooge. Not really, I just don't care. I'm not morally against it or anything, but my kids can't eat candy, don't like to dress up, and would be too shy to trick-or-treat anyway--if they weren't too old. Handing out candy never was my favorite, and when my kids became unable to eat sugar (they were very young) we thought it was not very nice to them if we gave the rest of the world candy. So we pretty much ignore Halloween.

When I woke up this morning, I had done something to my neck and could hardly move my head. I had stabbing pains when I did move, so I had to go to the chiropractor this afternoon. I had a hard time concentrating on school, since it was giving me a headache too. Pretty much everything does. Jeff was off, so he handled school today. He gave Sam a dictation out of the encyclopedia, which made him move on to giving Sarah a grammar lesson from the encyclopedia. I think it was about figures of speech. And we finished Black Horses for the King, to Sarah's delight.

Then I thought I'd have him do some math from Ray's Arithmetic while I showered. When I came back, they said they hadn't been able to figure out any of the problems at all. They read me one: There are 55 cows and sheep in a field, 1/2 of the cows equals 2/7 of the sheep. How many of each are there? Now, I have neglected buying the answer key for the Ray's books because I can just do the math, but not this time. I cannot think what to do. Maybe it was the headache, but I couldn't figure it out at all. I guess I could count them up and use trial and error, but I'd really like to figure it out without that. If you figure it out, leave me a comment!

Rachel spent the day working on her college application. She was writing short answers to questions. The long essay question it giving her trouble, though. They want you to talk about a risk you took, then you had setbacks or failure, and then were successful in the end. We're having a hard time thinking of anything. I'm not sure everyone in 12th grade has had an experience like that. Maybe I'm missing something. Jeff suggested talking about struggling with math, but Rachel isn't sure since that's a risk, since you just have to do it. I guess it would be easy for most people to think of a risk and failure, but to have been successful in the end is another story.

I finally wrote a MyWritingCheck blog post. I think it's been almost 2 months since I wrote one. It's about reading aloud to get better revisions. You can read it on blogspot here if you want, or you can read it on the website blog here.

On Monday nights we have what we call Family Home Evening where we make sure the whole evening is just for our family. Tonight we made up a live version of the game Clue. We came up with suspect names and silly murder weapons like pickle, rubber band, thumb and goat hair. Then we went around to different rooms guessing who the murderer was. I thought it was going to be a little more fun than it was. Doesn't it sound like fun? Well, it was fun when I won, but it was kind of hard with cards and note papers in our hands. I think we just need to buy the game. But we'll probably try it with Wilson and Kamille when they come for Christmas before we give up on it totally. They make everything more fun.

See you tomorrow!








No comments:

Post a Comment