Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Day 59--Yay for school!

I have the hardest time remembering to post on Monday night! After how many weeks of blogging? Almost 12, right? We did have a busy evening yesterday though. We had to go meet the furnace man at the old house so he could change the igniter. They are doing some inspections on the house today and Saturday we found the furnace not working! Bad timing. It was an easy fix though. We waited for him for two hours, but it only took him five minutes to change the thing. Then when we got home, we had to sign some forms for the realtor, and that was a hassle because we sign digitally and it never works the first time. Or the second. Or the third. Really. At least the sale is moving along.

We did have school yesterday before we went to the other house. I honestly can't remember at the moment what we did exactly. That's my reality. It's like each day is isolated. But that's ok; we manage. Sam and I started a chapter of some old math text on statistics. He loves stats, so I figured I'd teach him to organize and manipulate them. We started working on a code where we had to make a frequency table of letters in the message and compare that to a table of letter frequencies in the English language. We finished it today. It was pretty fun. I love working with the kids and not just having them do all the assignments alone. It was a bit lengthy, and I think he might have gotten bored if he was working on it by himself. I don't feel that makes the learning less valuable. It gives him someone to discuss it with and bounce ideas off of. I think it gets more done actually.

We started reading Anne of Green Gables yesterday. We love that book, and I have a Brave Writer Boomerang issue to use with it so I thought it'd be fun to read again. It's just going to make us want to watch the movie. I really should just buy it; it would be a good investment. I love the Boomerangs. They're just the way I think. I like to go through literature and learn what's there in context. I don't think it's necessary to use grammar workbooks about the same thing over and over for years. I remember Wilson doing workbooks about adjectives for years on end. Crazy. He liked it, and he knows all about grammar, so it worked for him; but this works for us now. It's alright to change what you do and what you like for your school. Also, different kids need, want and like different things; and it's ok to go with that too.

We're reading Black Horses for the King. I don't remember if I even mentioned it before. I guess we've been reading it for a couple weeks. They aren't sure they always want to hear it, but it got a bit more interesting yesterday when a bad guy was introduced and started seeking vengeance. I'm glad that's not the only thing that makes real life interesting!

We're also reading about the Declaration of Independence in The Making of America. We've been talking about the "ancient principles" which are inalienable rights that just are. We started memorizing the first paragraph of the Declaration today. I guess we'll be going over it for a couple weeks.

Jeff and Sam are going to a jr. high football game tonight with some boys from church. Jeff's been wanting to go to a game like that for a long time. It should be fun for them. Sam's never been to a football game. I hope he's comfortable on the bleachers since it's just a week after surgery. It's hard to believe how well he's doing.

See you tomorrow!



No comments:

Post a Comment