Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Day 60--Early Voting

We voted today! It was Rachel's first time, and it was so nice and quiet since it's early. I won't comment on politics since I'm tired of the subject, but it was a nice field trip for our homeschool. Sam and Sarah went and watched us too. They didn't really want to go. They usually go with us to vote, but it's been years since we voted early. I told Rachel that's how the ACT will be with filling in the bubbles.

She's still trying not to be too nervous about taking the ACT on Saturday. I think she's worried about the math anyway. We went over some of the practice test tonight, with me talking the problems over as she went, and she missed three out of twelve. She said when she did a set of twelve the other day, she missed half of them. But she'll do well on all the other parts of the test, so I don't think we should worry about it. What can we do anyway? I don't think cramming a bunch of new information into her head for the next two days would make it better.

I took a paragraph from Anne of Green Gables and typed it out without any punctuation, so the kids could punctuate it. They were supposed to do it right, but I wonder how it would have been if I had had them do punctuation that made it sound silly. I don't know if it even would have worked, but it might be fun to try some time.

Sarah did bunches of science today. I'm so glad she likes her science book. She likes getting things done. I wish I was that way. I don't seem to care if I ever get anything done. I know sometimes it's worse than others, but I haven't had a ton of better times lately.

Sam decided he's tired of not being able to write fast. He just moves his pen across the paper more slowly than the girls. I write extremely quickly, and Jeff writes extremely slowly. I just figured Sam was like Jeff, but he wants to speed up so we all talked about some ideas this morning. Rachel said maybe he approaches it more like drawing--his preferred pen-to-paper activity. I wondered if cursive would help him go faster, and Jeff suggested writing smaller. I can't remember what Sarah suggested, but he tried some of those things today. I think when he was just trying to go faster, he wasn't really breathing. I'm not sure that'll work. He didn't mind the cursive, but I don't think he loves it. None of them do. I guess kids in school aren't really doing cursive these days either. I also thought that if I dictate things to him to practice writing faster, that might help. I think copying or having to think of what to write himself wouldn't help his speed. We'll see how he does.

See you tomorrow!



No comments:

Post a Comment